Monday 18 March 2013

Founders and Friends



Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were neighbours as kids and have been close friends ever since?

Lesson 3: When venturing into the unknown, it is best to do it with a friend.

It's really weird, but all my close friends have been dreamers (I actually had a friend nicknamed "Dreamer"). Though most of them didn't take the dive I did, they keep me motivated enough to chase mine.

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck probably talked a lot about how they were going to dominate Hollywood and become movie stars. They must have hung-out and talked about it so much that their belief levels were Sky-high.

That's the most important reason to dream with a friend, or have people with similar or relatable goals around you often.

They keep you going

When I started my Entrepreneurial journey, the first challenge I came across was finding a technical co-founder. At first I thought my idea was so amazing that I would find someone that would want to work with me. Trust me that will probably not happen for two reasons
  1. Every software engineer has their own little project which they believe will end up being the next Facebook
  2. Your idea is only 1% of your entrepreneurial journey as my mum would say, "Anyone can use their mouth to make sweet stew".... but craftsmanship is everything

Steve Jobs explained it better




Here's how I solved it

Instead of looking for a co-founder, I started looking for a friend. When I met people, I never spoke about my project or how I was an entrepreneur. I let them talk about what they did and I always made them show off their cool little project on their phone (every good programmer has one). By looking at their project, I knew if they had the skills needed.

I still didn't find a co-founder that way, but I got advice on where to find one, a website for people looking to work on cool projects. So, I made the most technical advert possible (copy and paste from other ads on the site). Then I wrote two fundamental things

  1. If you are not looking to working on a very disruptive project, do not apply
  2. I am not just looking for a co-founder but also a friend

It worked, I found the coolest co-founder. He doesn't live in London and we have never met, but our relationship is great. He is one of the coolest people I know, because he lives life just like my dreamer friends. He works for a big company, but is not comfortable and still dreams. He takes a lot of holidays and likes skiing (which I find pretty cool). It’s not easy working, as we have never met, but I wouldn't stop working with him even if my room-mate worked for Google.

Hopefully we will end up like these guys



 Also... Though I had a plan the journey was very different

Lesson 4: Expect the unexpected, but have a good plan

No comments:

Post a Comment